News and Updates for Healthcare Professionals
FDA MedWatch - Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant (gabapentin) and Lyrica, Lyrica CR (pregabalin): Drug Safety Communication - Serious Breathing Problems
Improving Management of Opioids and Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) in Older Adults (R18)
Decision IQ: Polypharmacy in the Elderly: Navigating Complexities in Care
This interactive case-based CME activity discusses strategies to reduce inappropriate polypharmacy in the geriatric population. Join expert faculty as they offer their perspectives on the latest evidence for deprescribing management decisions and use relevant resources to answer questions related to a clinical case presentation.
[ Full article ]
Culture & Health Literacy
The ideas people have about health, the languages they use and the health literacy skills they have, reflect their cultures. Organizations can increase communication effectiveness when they recognize and address cultural differences that may contribute to miscommunication. Our website has resources to help you improve your cross-cultural communications skills.
[ Full article ]
Free Health Literacy Resources
Community organizations are incorporating health literacy strategies to contribute to the well-being of their community. Check out our website for more resources community organizations offer for your communication needs.
Also, check out the Clear Communication Index! A research-based tool that helps you develop and assess communication materials for your intended audience.
Side effects mild, brief with single antidepressant dose of intravenous ketamine
Safety data analyzed from five NIH inpatient clinical trials
[ Full article ]
USPSTF Releases Ninth Annual Report to Congress on Evidence Gaps
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has released its “Ninth Annual Report to Congress on High-Priority Evidence Gaps for Clinical Preventive Services.”
In this annual report, the USPSTF highlights research gaps from its recent recommendations related to primary care prevention of mental illness, substance use, and violence. These important topics affect the health and well-being of many Americans. The report calls for more high-quality research to understand these complex health issues and how clinicians can meaningfully assist their patients in preventing them.
Topics highlighted in the report include:
Mental Health and Substance Use
- Perinatal Depression: Preventive Interventions
- Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Adolescents and Adults: Screening and Behavioral Counseling Interventions
- Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation in Children and Adolescents: Primary Care Interventions
- Illicit Drug Use, Including Nonmedical Use of Prescription Drug Use in Adolescents and Adults: Screening by Asking About Drug Use
- Intimate Partner Violence, Elder Abuse, and Abuse of Vulnerable Adults: Screening
- Child Maltreatment: Interventions
Future research can help fill gaps in these areas and may result in important new recommendations that will help to improve the health of Americans. By identifying evidence gaps and highlighting them as research priorities, the USPSTF aims to inspire public and private researchers to collaborate and target their efforts to generate new knowledge and address these important health issues.
Read the complete report on the USPSTF website.
AHRQ Evidence-Based Practice Update
Treatment for Acute Pain: An Evidence Map
[ Full article ]
HHS Releases New Guidance on Opioid Tapering
Recently, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued new guidance on appropriate tapering or discontinuation of long-term opioid use. The new guide, the HHS Guide for Clinicians on the Appropriate Dosage Reduction or Discontinuation of Long-Term Opioid Analgesics, serves as advice to clinicians who are contemplating or initiating a change in opioid dosage for a patient.
[ Full article ]
New PCD Collection: NCCDPHP Program Evaluation
The National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) has a rich portfolio of public health efforts to reduce the risks of developing chronic disease and to improve the health and quality of life for those living with chronic disease. This collection from Preventing Chronic Disease features 10 articles that offer insights into the development, implementation, and evaluation of population-based interventions to prevent chronic diseases and to control their effects on quality of life, morbidity, and mortality.
The NCCDPHP Program Evaluation collection shares important evaluation findings and lessons learned from public health and clinical interventions implemented by NCCDPHP, its partners, and its awardees.
Table of Contents
- Teacher Physical Education Practices and Student Outcomes in a Sample of Middle Schools Participating in the Presidential Youth Fitness Program
Lucas IR, Harris C, Lee S, Wargo J, Barnes SP, Kauh TJ, et al
- A Faith-Based Intervention to Reduce Blood Pressure in Underserved Metropolitan New York Immigrant Communities
Yi SS, Wyatt LC, Patel S, Choy C, Dhar R, Zanowiak JM, et al
- A Change-Management Approach to Closing Care Gaps in a Federally Qualified Health Center: A Rural Kentucky Case Study
Carman AL, Vanderpool RC, Stradtman LR, Edmiston EA
- Putting the National Diabetes Prevention Program to Work: Predictors of Achieving Weight-Loss Goals in an Employee Population
Chakkalakal RJ, Connor LR, Rolando LA, Huang Y, Byrne DW, Awalt BM, et al
- Implementation of Liver Cancer Education Among Health Care Providers and Community Coalitions in the Cherokee Nation
Momin B, Mera J, Essex W, Gahn D, Burkhart M, Nielsen D, et al
- A Media Campaign to Increase Health Care Provider Assistance for Patients Who Smoke Cigarettes
Juster HR, Ortega-Peluso CA, Brown EM, Hayes KA, Sneegas K, Gopez G, et al
- Single Cigar Price and Availability in Communities With and Without a Cigar Packaging and Pricing Regulation
Kephart L, Song G, Henley P, Ursprung WS
- Estimating the Relative Impact of Clinical and Preventive Community-Based Interventions: An Example Based on the Community Transformation Grant Program
Yarnoff B, Bradley C, Honeycutt AA, Soler RE, Orenstein D
- A Cohort Review Approach Evaluating Community Health Worker Programs in New York City, 2015–2017
Feinberg A, Seidl L, Dannefer R, Wyka K, Drackett E, Brown-Dudley L, et al
- Advancing Tobacco Control Through Point of Sale Policies, Providence, Rhode Island
Pearlman DN, Arnold JA, Guardino GA, Welsh EB